• Aberdeen - 01224 584458
  • Inverurie - 01467 623311
  • Banchory - 01330 828500

Kitchen office? Check if you can claim tax relief.

Posted on July 14, 2021

If you have to work at home because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you can claim tax relief on any additional household costs you have incurred. Staying in your slippers all day can be cosy, but working from your home office, kitchen or bedroom can mean increased gas and electricity costs, higher (metered) water usage and extra telephone/broadband expenses.

You cannot claim for all your household bills, just the additional costs you have incurred. You can also claim tax relief on any equipment you have had to purchase such as laptops, chairs etc which have not been funded by your employer.

You can either claim tax relief on:

·       £6/week backdated to 6 April 2020, with no evidence of extra costs necessary, or

·       The exact amount of the extra costs involved, giving evidence such as receipts bills or contracts.

If you complete a self-assessment tax return, you can claim tax relief when you next submit your tax return, but otherwise you apply online via a simple HMRC form here https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/working-at-home.


what's making the news

5 Bon Accord Square,
AB11 6XZ

Telephone: 01224 584458

5 High Street,
AB51 3QA

Telephone: 01467 623311

Rosewood, Raemoir Road,
AB31 4ET

Telephone: 01330 828500

Email Us: mail@jamesmilne.co.uk